Travel Sites You Probably Haven't Heard of - But Save You so Much Money!
I'm Heather Wilde, CTO of ROCeteer, a company that assists entrepreneurs and businesses around the world to get ready to scale to their next level. I'm also a public speaker, author and coach -- so I keep busy and travel a lot!
- What is your favorite travel app and why?
- Hands down, the most indispensable travel app for me is Tripit. I've used it continuously for years, and even have gifted subscriptions to friends to help us keep connected to each other. It is the easiest way I've found to keep everything together.
- Honorable mentions to SeatGuru for helping to pick seats and ExpertFlyer for doing some specialty flight searches, but none come close to the amount of time I spend in Tripit.
- How do you find good deals for traveling?
- This is a multi-step process and really depends on what I'm trying to do. If I have a set destination and timeframe, then I'll start with Skiplagged and Momondo to see if I can find good flight prices, and then use HotelsCombined and Trivago to see about hotels -- but will also check VRBO, HomeAway and Airbnb if I have a long-term stay. If it's a nonstandard trip, like a cruise or an RV rental, I'll look for deals on sites like Vacations2Go or iMoova, and of course, check in with FlyerTalk to see if there is anything I've missed.
- What are your packing essentials?
- For every trip I bring my Travel Pillow, my Portable Hanging Footrest, and my 1-3 oz Silicone Travel Bottles filled with my own shampoo, conditioner and face wash. Also, to make sure that I don't get sick while on the road, I make sure to bring enough Vitamin C and Zinc to take every day.
- What are some packing tips to pack lightly/efficiently?
- Roll your clothes -- it's the only way! Check the weather of where you're going and pack for that climate.
- What is a mistake that you have made from your travels/learning from?
- No matter how many times I tell myself when packing that it's ok to bring a smaller bag because I'm not going to buy any souvenirs, I often end up having to buy a dollar store duffel bag to bring gifts home. However, I've learned that dollar stores inevitably have $5 duffel bags in pretty much any country.
- How do you make time fly by on a long flight?
- Thankfully, I can sleep on flights, so I'm usually out for most of the flight. On a recent 18 hour flight to Singapore, I slept 10 hours and watched 4 movies -- and had 5 meals!!
- How do you discover fun things to do in new places you travel to?
- I read a lot of travel guides, both online and off. I'll ask locals where they'd find interesting to and sometimes I've been known to follow people (in a non-creepy/stalker way) if they look like they're going somewhere interesting. One time, I ended up at a cool underground bar in Akihabara, Tokyo that I'd have never found otherwise by doing that.
- What is your next travel destination and what do you have planned so far?
- I'm currently in the middle of a trip to Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, and Maui -- and my plans are mostly around eating great food, like Nasi Lemak in Malaysia and sampling all the different types of white Honey in Dubai. In Maui, I'll be biking down Haleakala at sunrise.
- Where can our followers/subscribers find you to stay in touch?
- Inc: https://www.inc.com/
- Course/Book: heatherwilde.co/
- Site: heathriel.com
- Insta/FB/Twitter: heathriel
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.